Several organizations provide guidance and manuals to help organizations build more inclusive mentoring practices and programs. Although some of the materials are designed for providing services to youth, the principles are extractable for all mentoring programs.
National Center for Workforce Development for Youth
- Paving the Way to Work: A Guide to Career-Focused Mentoring This NCWD for Youth Guide is intended for individuals designing mentoring programs for youth, including youth with disabilities, in the transition phase to adulthood.
- Guideposts for Success The NCWD for Youth Guideposts can help steer families, institutions and youth themselves through the transition processes. Guidepost 3, Youth Development and Leadership, emphasizes the importance of mentors and roles models, including people with and without disabilities, for youth in transition.
Partners for Youth With Disabiltiies
- Expanding Access Inclusion for Youth with Disabilities shares inclusion strategies for individuals working in the youth programming arena, including tips on inclusive communications, Universal Design for Learning, inclusive marketing, and more. It also provides hands-on activities for staff and volunteers to practice what they have learned. Liberty Mutual Foundation for funding the development of this resource!
- Best Practices for Mentoring Youth with Disabilities to help organizations start their own mentoring program or expand a current program in order to include youth with disabilities. This PDF document was published by Partners for Youth with Disabilities and funded by the Mitsubishi Electric America Foundation.
- Mentoring 101 Manual PDF | Word Doc A training manual for adult volunteers interested in mentoring youth with disabilities. It was created through a collaborative effort by Mass Mentoring Partnership and Partners for Youth with Disabilities, and funded by the Mitsubishi Electric America Foundation.
- Testimonial: My Mentoring Experience with PYD